Join our workshop:
Designing Organizations, September 7–8, Zürich
What you will learn
This two-day course teaches principles, frameworks, and practical tools of advanced organization design. Based on conceptual inputs, and using practical exercises focusing on real-life issues, you will learn to effectively apply this knowledge to management challenges within your organization.
In this course, you will learn and practice
- how to link your organization design to your strategy and how to scope your design work
- approaches and tools to define effective and agile organization designs
- how to involve teams in designing, testing, and implementing new set-ups
Exemplary questions include: how do I define key activities to drive my strategy and how do I translate them into organization designs? How can I define and use principles for unit grouping? How do I link different organizational units and make sure the organization acts as one? How do I design for hierarchies and decision making in my org? And how can I foster agility in my organization design?
The course will work with examples and cases from third parties and will leave time to discuss real-life issues raised by course participants.
In addition to dedicated course materials, the workshop leverages the framework and tools of the Organizational Structure Kit as well as the Agile Organizing Kit (coming soon).
The course is designed for managers, entrepreneurs, internal business partners, and consultants who want to strengthen their practical organization design knowledge and shape their organizations using best-in-class concepts and tools.
The course language is English. The course is limited to maximum 12 participants to allow sufficient time for discussion of participants’ questions and business challenges.
Who runs the course
Prof. Dr. Olaf Bach has more than ten years of experience in management consulting and more than five years of teaching organization design at the University of St. Gallen and creative entrepreneurship at the Weißensee Art Academy Berlin. In his consulting work, teaching, and writing, his focus is on designing ways to facilitate innovative and impactful approaches to practice management. He is the founder of Management Kits, a business design initiative to enable research-based action learning, leveraging frameworks and tools based in design thinking.
What you get
In the course:
- Two-day hands-on learning experience on the ground under the guidance of Olaf Bach
- 1 full hard-copy and electronic version of the Organizational Structure Kit
- Additional course materials designed to maximize practical learning
- Lunch included on both course days
After the course:
- Two individual follow-up video conferences with Olaf Bach within three months after the course to discuss follow-on and implementation questions
- Certificate of participation
CHF 1’890.– Early Bird (until July 11, 2017)
Terms and conditions for our courses apply.
Register via Eventbrite
Before the course
An online questionnaire will be sent out to all registered participants to gather input on key dimensions of their roles, baselines, and specific expectations. The results will inform course facilitation and details of practical sessions, and identify options for participants’ cross learning.
In addition, a focused set of pre-reading materials will be shared, including a short preparatory exercise for linking strategy and organization design.
- Tool deep dive and exercise 4: linking units and x-org processes
- Tool deep dive and exercise 5: shaping the org
- Designing decision processes
- Change and transformation planning
- Agile organizing: building the adaptable organization
- Strategy, business model, and organization design
- Organization design and design thinking
- Tool deep dive and exercise 1: scoping organization design work
- Tool deep dive and exercise 2: defining activities and functions
- Tool deep dive and exercise 3: unit definition and design
After the course
Each course participant is offered two 1-hour online sessions within three months after the event. In line with management learning best practices, the purpose of these sessions is to provide coaching on practical matters and discuss follow-on questions regarding tools or their implementation.
For all inquiries please contact
+41 44 520 9776